How long do you cook thick burgers on the grill?
Here’s a guide for the cook time and temperature of one-inch-thick burger patties:
- Medium-rare (warm, red center): 6 minutes, or 130 to 135°
- Medium (warm, pink center): 7 to 8 minutes, or 140 to 145°
- Medium-well (hot, slightly pink center): 9 minutes, or 150 to 155°
How do I cook thick burgers on a gas grill?
IF USING A GRILL: Heat a gas grill to high or heat coals in a charcoal grill until they glow bright orange and ash over. Brush the burgers with the oil. Grill the burgers until golden brown and slightly charred on the first side, about 3 minutes for beef and 5 minutes for turkey. Flip over the burgers.
How long do you grill burgers on each side?
How Long to Cook a Burger on the Grill
- For a rare burger, cook for 2 minutes per side for 4 minutes total.
- For a medium-rare burger, cook for 2 minutes and thirty seconds per side for 5 minutes total.
- For a medium burger, cook for 3 to 3 1/2 minutes per side for 6 to 7 minutes total.
Do you close the grill when cooking burgers?
If you’re grilling quick-cooking foods such as burgers, thin steaks, chops, fish, shrimp, or sliced vegetables directly over the flames, you can leave the grill open. … But when you grill thicker steaks, bone-in chicken, or whole roasts you’ll want the lid down, especially when you’re cooking with indirect heat.
What temperature do you cook burgers on a propane grill?
How to grill burgers on a propane grill
- Turn the propane on, then ignite the burners to high heat. …
- Close the lid and heat the grill until it reaches about 400 degrees F.
- Reduce the heat to medium high, or about 375 degrees, and place the burgers on the grill.
Do you grill burgers on direct or indirect heat?
Sear over direct heat for 2 to 3 minutes, depending on the thickness of your burger. Searing can be done with the grill lid on or off. After searing, move the burgers to the opposite side of the grill to cook indirectly until done (with the grill lid on for a smokier flavor).
What temperature should grill be at for burgers?
How hot should the grill be for burgers? For burgers the optimal grilling temperature rule is – the hotter the better. Heat your grill to medium high heat (between 350-400°F).
How long to grill thick burgers medium well?
This makes each burger approximately 6 oz. The USDA recommends cooking beef to a minimum internal temperature of 145 degrees.
Fresh Beef Burger Grill Times.
|Doneness||First Side Time||Second Side Time|
|Medium-Rare||3 minutes||4 minutes|
|Medium||3 minutes||5 minutes|
|Medium-Well||4 minutes||5 minutes|
|Well Done||4 minutes||6 minutes|
How do you keep burgers from overcooking on the grill?
How to Grill Burgers Perfectly
- Use the Freshest Ground Beef.
- Don’t Overwork the Meat.
- Salt at the Last Moment.
- Cook the Patties Over a Steady Heat.
- Recipe for the Perfect Burger.
Why do my hamburgers fall apart on the grill?
If you try to flip it too soon before the meat has had a chance to fully cook on one side, the meat won’t be done enough on that side to hold the rest of the patty together, and it will fall apart much easier.
How thick should burger patties be?
The patty should be at least as wide as your bun and about 3/4 to 1 inch thick. Make a divot in the middle of the burger with your thumb to help it keep its shape while cooking.
How do you know when to flip a burger?
You’ll know to flip the patties when you see liquid pooling on the uncooked surface. Be careful not to char the meat or press down on the patties with a spatula while cooking, you’ll squeeze out all those flavorful juices.
How long do you cook burgers on a propane grill?
How Long to Grill Burgers
- For rare burgers, cook for 4 minutes total (125°F)
- For medium-rare burgers, cook for 5 minutes total (135°F)
- For medium burgers, cook for 6 to 7 minutes total (145°F)
- For well-done burgers, cook for 8 to 9 minutes total (160 °F)
How do you tell when a burger is done on the grill?
The best way to tell if a burger is done is by using a thermometer. This is going to give you the most accurate assurance that your burger is cooked. You want the internal temperature to read no less than 155°F. Let the burgers rest for about 10 minutes and the internal temperature will rise to the 160°F mark.