Arrange the burgers (dimpled side down) on the screaming hot grate. Leave about 30 percent of the grill grate food-free, a “safety zone” where you can move burgers in case of flare-ups. Grill for 3 to 4 minutes, or until they’re seared.
How long do you cook burgers on a gas grill?
In general, follow these total grilling times:
- For rare burgers, cook for 4 minutes total (125°F)
- For medium-rare burgers, cook for 5 minutes total (135°F)
- For medium burgers, cook for 6 to 7 minutes total (145°F)
- For well-done burgers, cook for 8 to 9 minutes total (160 °F)
How do you grill burgers on a propane grill?
- Turn the propane on, then ignite the burners to high heat. …
- Close the lid and heat the grill until it reaches about 400 degrees. …
- While the grill heats, form (4) 1/4 pound burger patties into an even 1/2″ thickness. …
- Close the lid and cook until the burgers reach the desired doneness.
How do you grill burgers on a gas grill without burning them?
- Grill your burgers over high heat. …
- Avoid using your spatula to press down on your burgers while cooking. …
- Flip your burgers only one time–about 3 minutes on each side for medium rare plus. …
- If you get a flare up, cover the grill. …
- Allow your burgers to rest for a few minutes before serving.
Do you grill burgers with the lid open or closed?
When cooking burgers on a gas grill with the lid open it will take longer for the burgers to cook. You are losing heat when you open the lid, just like when you open your oven door. The temperature will go down. However, leaving the lid open does give a darker sear on the burgers so you may want to give it a try.
Do you close the grill when cooking burgers?
If you’re grilling quick-cooking foods such as burgers, thin steaks, chops, fish, shrimp, or sliced vegetables directly over the flames, you can leave the grill open. … But when you grill thicker steaks, bone-in chicken, or whole roasts you’ll want the lid down, especially when you’re cooking with indirect heat.
How long do I cook burgers on each side?
How Long to Cook a Burger on the Grill
- For a rare burger, cook for 2 minutes per side for 4 minutes total.
- For a medium-rare burger, cook for 2 minutes and thirty seconds per side for 5 minutes total.
- For a medium burger, cook for 3 to 3 1/2 minutes per side for 6 to 7 minutes total.
What is the secret to juicy hamburgers?
Prep Tips for How To Make Juicy Burgers
- Don’t overwork the meat. …
- Use cold hands. …
- Be gentle. …
- Make a thumb print. …
- Turn up the heat. …
- Don’t move the burgers around. …
- Don’t push down on the burgers. …
- Let the juicy burgers rest.
What temperature should grill be at for burgers?
How hot should the grill be for burgers? For burgers the optimal grilling temperature rule is – the hotter the better. Heat your grill to medium high heat (between 350-400°F).
How long do you cook a half pound burger on the grill?
Brush the burgers with the oil. Grill the burgers until golden brown and slightly charred on the first side, about 3 minutes for beef and 5 minutes for turkey. Flip over the burgers.
How do you keep burgers moist on the grill?
He told Fox News the key is putting an ice cube in the middle of a patty, folding the meat around it, and then grilling it. That way, the ice keeps the patty moist so it doesn’t dry out.
How do you keep burgers from drying out on the grill?
Master Chef judge Graham Elliot explained the trick to Fox News. “Make your patties, then put your little ice cube in there and then when you grill it, it keeps it moist and keeps it from getting dried out.” As the hamburger patty cooks, the ice melts slowly, keeping the burger moist.
Do you grill burgers on direct or indirect heat?
Sear over direct heat for 2 to 3 minutes, depending on the thickness of your burger. Searing can be done with the grill lid on or off. After searing, move the burgers to the opposite side of the grill to cook indirectly until done (with the grill lid on for a smokier flavor).
Why would you put an ice cube on a burger while grilling?
The ice cube will prevent the burgers from overcooking and add a bit of extra moisture to the beef — something that’s especially helpful if you’re grilling rather large patties. What you’re gonna do is take a ball of ground beef, gently press a little ice cube in the center, and form the beef around it so it’s sealed.
What temp do you cook burgers on a gas grill?
Grill temp for burgers
When grilling burgers, you want the grill temperature to be around medium-high to high heat, which is around 375 to 400 degrees F. Many gas grills have built in thermometers, but often they tend to be not super reliable.
How do you grill 1 inch thick burgers?
Here’s a guide for the cook time and temperature of one-inch-thick burger patties:
- Medium-rare (warm, red center): 6 minutes, or 130 to 135°
- Medium (warm, pink center): 7 to 8 minutes, or 140 to 145°
- Medium-well (hot, slightly pink center): 9 minutes, or 150 to 155°